Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis is profuse sweating not explained by environmental circumstances or physical activity.
TYPES OF EXCESSIVE SWEATING
Hyperhidrosis may affect any body area with sweat glands and can be categorized into 2 types:
- PRIMARY FOCAL HYPERHIDROSIS: excessive sweating in focused, specific body areas involving axillary (underarms), palmar (hands), plantar (feet), and truncal (torso)
- SECONDARY GENERAL HYPERHIDROSIS: excessive sweating in several unspecific body areas
CAUSES OF EXCESSIVE SWEATING
Excessive sweating may occur you are genetically predisposed or have abnormally large sweat glands. Hyperhidrosis can also be caused by certain medications, metabolic disorders and hormone changes during menopause and pregnancy.
TREATMENT FOR EXCESSIVE SWEATING
It is best to treat your underlying medical condition if it is causing excessive sweating.
- Prescription antiperspirant products: with aluminum chloride, may help control excessive sweating
- Oral medications: to decrease sweating and secretions
- Botox injections: neurotoxin that can temporarily reduce sweat gland activity for a few months.
Would you like to learn more about Hyperhidrosis? Call (661) 949-0004 to schedule a consultation at AV Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center.